View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 19 May 2021, 04:16

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Libo 

just a point so dont all jump down my throat.

do you think Libo is worth the investment in both lease and stock as it looks like a mostly pike lake, i know there are carp in it, and also if im not wrong are we not breaking the law when you cross the railway track and this was the way i was shown to access lake when i fished it.

Could the money not be put to better use.

11 Mar 2008, 22:28

Location: Educating Esoxian on the virtues of passive verbal communication toward people with canoes..
To me Libo is one of the best SCG waters. Maybe not necessarily the size of the fish that come from Libo, But the setting, rich water and the peace. I dont really fish the railway bank, so am very rarely bothered by noise or people. The crossing point over the track at the Timber gate is a legitimate crossing point as far as I'm concerned, and once over the tracks you can access the full bank. The entrance is shared with the Scottish Wildlife Trust I'm sure. Its not just the Pike in there..there are Carp(mirror/common), Tench, Roach, Perch and as you say Pike...I do feel that Libo is slightly neglected by the SCG, as this could be a great water, but the fish are in there and steadily growing....I know theres limitations on the available fishing areas around the loch...but this is another water that could be stocked.....And sure there are reasons it hasn't been..

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

11 Mar 2008, 23:31
Site Admin
Site Admin

Access for Libo is at the level crossing as Scottfins said.

Sadly we can't stock Libo as the Wildlife Trust will not allow us to.

Cheers
Saul

12 Mar 2008, 09:18
Profile WWW

there is more carp in libo than you think as i have seen a good few sadly i have never caught one as i mostly fish for pike but from easter to june libo is a good water for pike lots of jacks with the odd double great fun and at night the bats are fun to watch catching the moths
regards
gordon :wink:
ps before you say you will get my membership befoe easter malky :wink: :wink: :wink:

12 Mar 2008, 19:14
Profile YIM

Saul wrote:
Access for Libo is at the level crossing as Scottfins said.

Sadly we can't stock Libo as the Wildlife Trust will not allow us to.

Cheers
Saul
:? :?
had a very interesting chat to the girl called jill(head of the wild life trust for libo) and another girl who is her boss,they were up looking at the canadian pond weed and popped over to the swim i was fishing to see what i was up to :?: and they also asked if i was a member of the scg,when i asked her what the problem with us adding to the stock of libo she replied that they did not have a problem with us stocking more carp,so i would just like to ask again what is the problem with us not stocking libo :?:

01 Aug 2008, 13:22
Site Admin
Site Admin

We were told we could not ?????? :? :?:

01 Aug 2008, 16:44
Profile WWW

so ,when was the last time that the wildlife trust were approached :?: it's a fantastic big water which would solve a lot of the problems with looking for a water in the west,think it's time they were approached again,have been talking to a few of the guy's who have been fishing it over the last couple of years with very few carp for their efforts (3 fish in 2 years between 3 guy's) ,think the reason we are getting all the numpties coming up here is down to scg's neglect of libo and members opting to go elsewhere,because other waters are getting far more attention (stock wise),so with very few members visiting libo it looks like it's a free for all to all the numpty pikers,i know there has been talk of letting libo go which would be a very sad state of affairs,i really think we should be putting a lot more effort into such a rich and very natural water which scottish carp would thrive in, and after all is that not the aim of the scg to promote and invest in waters for like minded anglers,so hopefully we can get the ball rolling again and hopefully more members will back me up on this :!: cheers colin :wink:

01 Aug 2008, 17:18

Libo is an excellent venue, highly challenging and very nice too.
I've held and photographed some of the carp from here and thought they looked excellent.

All Libo needs is more folks to fish it and get proactive with the guest anglers and word will quickly spread that its a members only water.

If you are going to approach any possible guests on this water then
send someone a text with the car registrations in the layby so if anything happens then you have the ID of the car owner for the police. Tell them you have taken the car registrations and texted them on. But most of all be polite, non agressive and stay safe. Save the local police station phone number in your phone. I approached several anglers (and a couple of locals setting a small fire) on this water and asked them to leave and stopped some from setting up and never got any hassle, the free Barrhead Dams isn't to far away by car. I think George Howie did a bit of bailiffing on Libo.

I think Libo should stay in the SCG but do understand why some would say is it worth it.
Thanks from Denis.

01 Aug 2008, 18:13
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Colin

We were told we could not stock more carp due to the waters SSSI status and the non indigenous species issue, I think with the SSSI status it's not just down to SWT as SNH may also need to be involved.
It will be interesting to speak to SWT to see why they have changed their tune ???

One of the main problems we had with libo was the lack of feedback from the water even though it appears some good fish have been off , like you say members fishing can only improve the water which is why we need feedback and catch reports to help promote the water.

if we do get permission to stock the water again then we can look at getting the water sorted out and look into things like the parking issue etc, maybe the golf course would let members park in their car park for a small fee ?? but then again from what I was told of the golf club pigs might fly :roll: :lol:
We also need to get proper guidelines for use of the level crossing as it is not acceptable for anyone to cross the railway at any other point.

Cheers
Saul

01 Aug 2008, 18:30
Profile WWW

there is a multitude of reasons why the SCG has not stocked libo in recent years the main one has been the fact that as a SSSI(specific site of scientific interest) the introduction of non indigineous species is a no no, as a bona fido (law abiding club ) we were in a catch 22 position,,,, we will contact the wildlife trust to see if there has been a change in the status, but any less than change of status and we will continue to look at libo as a case of , it is what it is..... and will continue to be.....

01 Aug 2008, 22:11
Profile WWW

Hi,
This is just my opinion so please dont attack me for it.

I think Libo is the most difficult water the SCG have (that I have fished) and I like it like that.
At times I like difficult and at times I like less difficult.
Pit your angling skills against Libo and win or be defeated, but enjoy the challenge. One thing is for sure --- you will learn many things.
I have won and been completely defeated on Libo. I want to be defeated a lot more than I win.

If you want easier (but not easy) goto Lanark.
If you want difficult (but not impossible) goto Libo.

Libo is not about catching loads of carp or catching big fish but about catching one or 2 carp (in excellent surroundings) that you have worked extremely hard to catch. (sounds a bit like Fintry sometimes)

I don't mind if no more carp go in Libo but if they can thats fine too.

Libo is a highly underated water that we all pay for. Dont just fish it once and give up, go all the way until you cannot physically fish it or until you win by catching a carp.

Thanks from Denis. :D

01 Aug 2008, 23:21

As a fluff chucker on loch leven for many years it was agreed that rainbows and browns could be stocked many moons ago, this water as some of you know has the highest protection orders going……… If you can stock there why not Libo? :? seems strange

03 Aug 2008, 08:57

the reason i brought this back up was purely the neglect shown from the scg for libo, when was the last time there was talk of a work party :?:when it comes to any of the other waters regarding work needing done it's not a problem :?: as i asked in my first post when was the last time we even talked to the swt regarding our position for further stock in libo(no reply) :?: as the last post say's rainbow trout are not indigenous to the loch so don't really see what the problem is here,it's not as if adding more carp to libo is going to be detrimental to the sssi's research on the pond weed cause there's certainly no shortage of the stuff,think the swt need educated a bit more on the facts about our strain of carp and the so called damage that they do :!:

03 Aug 2008, 09:20
Site Admin
Site Admin

With regard to the comments on Rainbows etc, each species is treated differently with possible effects to the water in question.
Carp are obviously very different to Rainbow trout with feeding behaviour etc, carp are classed as bottom feeders which can lead to an increase in turbidity which in turn can affect plant life which is often the reason a water is given the SSSI status to protect the "macrophytes" which may be at risk, it's not the likes of Canadian pond weed they are interested in.
The likes of SNH, SWT etc seem to look at research done on the subject, much of which is from other countries like the US & Australia and see carp as a biological disaster zone but don't seem to take into account the situation here with successful reproduction etc and with the stocking levels of most non commercial waters in the UK there is no real problem.
I had to fight to keep them from trying to remove the Carp from Duddingston a few years ago as they were taking the blame for all the water quality issues which was a joke considering the stock levels at the time.

Colin, it's not me who deals with SWT and Libo so I can't answer the question about when was the last time we asked about stocking but we will speak to them soon, the reason you did not get an instant reply was all of the committee are not around at the moment and it is the week end ! :lol: :lol:
With regard to work parties! it's not really been fished that much by our members and there have been no requests for serious work to be done and keeping swims & paths in order is something that should be easy enough to be done by the guys fishing the water as is done on our other waters!
The only work party we ever have a good attendance is Fintry, only a couple turned up at the last Libo work party.

Cheers
Saul

Cheers
Saul

03 Aug 2008, 12:31
Profile WWW

I have had a LOT..and i mean a lot of dealings with SNH over the last 2 years and my feeling of them is that they are anti-angling and would rather see the removal of ALL fish than have any anglers on there reserves.

They have just banned fishing on a local loch that we leased. The Pike and Perch have been in the water at least 180 years, possibly more, yet SNH want to remove the fish. I am fighting them just now, but they have a huge amount of influence! Our trouble was people fishing illegally and disturbing the wildlife, nothing to do with out club, but we are the ones who suffered because of there rubbish etc.

My fears would be that if the SCG approached SNH about stocking they would suddenly remember that anglers use this water and ban them :(

05 Aug 2008, 08:11
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next