View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 16 May 2021, 13:36

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 libo's non-members 

Has anyone been fishing on libo recently and noticed the amount of non members who are frequenting the water?
I've been going quite a bit recently and there are all sorts who are making a mess of the place,especially at weekends with the customary carryout which they leave on the bank.
Just a thought,but maybe a review of the signage would be an idea as where they are cutting over the railway has nothing to indicate that it's a permitted water.
Thought i'd flag it up as when they are challenged for a permit the response is either a smartarse remark,or they claim they were unaware a permit is required.

15 Jun 2008, 20:21

Tell me about it am sick n tired it been fishin there for 3 years nearly its a nitemare :( :( :(

05 Aug 2008, 20:20

the litter is un called for , but... there are more people fish in scotland than any other hobby . and the non members that dont make mess may be have been fishing it longer than yous and dont wish to join the club :lol:

05 Aug 2008, 20:59

I know there are those who tidy up after themselves ,but if they want to fish the water i reckon they might think twice about it if there was proper signage in place.

Surely it would be a good thing in terms of revenue for the S.C.G and for the preservation of libo itself if anyone who does fish it, is a valid permit holder.

Look what's happened to the barrloch.

Glad it's not just me that's noticed though,and hopefully something will get done about the signage in the near future.

cheers

chris

08 Aug 2008, 21:53
Site Admin
Site Admin

The old signs were taken down by the SWT and were virtually brand new :?
They didn't like where they were sited or the wording.

3 New signs are have been ordered :wink:

Cheers
Saul

08 Aug 2008, 22:31
Profile WWW

keithmoon wrote:
the litter is un called for , but... there are more people fish in scotland than any other hobby . and the non members that dont make mess may be have been fishing it longer than yous and dont wish to join the club :lol:

Thats hardly the point we pay our money to fish scg waters not to go about tidying up after people who are after all poaching. I dont think SWT want rubbish which could kill wildlife lying about then maybe they would be more conducive to more carp going into the water .:roll: :roll: .

10 Aug 2008, 21:06

Hi Keithmoon,
It costs adults who pay the membership including the joining fee £40 to join the SCG. If an angler joined and only fished Libo you could say it would cost them 77 pence a week. If that person only fished Libo 10 times a year it would cost them £4 a trip. Considering how much bait, petrol, cars, public transport, tackle ect cost, then if a person couldn't also afford the permit why are they fishing at all?
At that price why not pay knowing the cash will be used to benifit everyone.

I would guess that if Libo did improve all species of fish would benefit ESPECIALLY the pike. Bigger pike for folks to catch.

If an angler was really set on fishing Libo then I cant see any reason not to join the SCG and do some positive stuff for the water that person must like if they fish it.

I would guess that Lanark could end up with very big pike in the future
as it seems well looked after.

Thanks from Denis. :D

10 Aug 2008, 22:56

Location: Educating Esoxian on the virtues of passive verbal communication toward people with canoes..
Saul wrote:
The old signs were taken down by the SWT and were virtually brand new :?
They didn't like where they were sited or the wording.

3 New signs are have been ordered :wink:

Cheers
Saul

Years ago, did Libo not use to have wire running under the wateralong the banks, aka 'trout fishery/fly fish only'. Seem to remember a long time ago there being floating plastic containers out in the water with no fishing painted on them......I saw these later ditched in the rushes at the railway crossing/outlet end..

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

11 Aug 2008, 14:54
Site Admin
Site Admin

No idea ????
But we need to work out where to put the signs to avoid vandals, in the water on a pole would be good but would be hard without a decent boat.

Any suggestions ?? and they must not be infront of the layby ( eg, on the railway fence ) as this encourages people to cross where they are not supposed to which is why one of the old signs was removed by SWT.

Cheers
Saul

11 Aug 2008, 20:39
Profile WWW

Hi,

I remember seeing the barrels many moons ago. :D
I may be getting confused with somewhere elso as it was so long ago but
i think I remember a sign on a pole in with the rushes at the railway bank.
If I am right it may have been put there to stop it getting in the way of any fishing lines or keeping it away from vandals.

Possible spot for a sign at the far end of the railway bank swim in the lilies?
This is were I've found the most litter so thing the poachers go there most.

One on the Loch side of the railway crossing would cover folks who come in over the crossing and go to the far bank.

Thanks from Denis.

11 Aug 2008, 21:31
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]