View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 26 Sep 2018, 09:24

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 carp safety !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

the fact of the matter is that fish could have got tethered in the weed trailing a length of line about or any other snag in the water nothing at all to do with the buoys.

Now its worse as there is no visual sight for the buoys but 7ft of thick weed ridden rope lying on the bottom for people to get snagged up on.

Carp saftey is not about whats in the water its about what the anglers chuck into the water and no matter if its SCG member, season ticket holders or day ticket most people who fish that lake are members and if you look through this forum are quite reluctant to drop a lead because of the price of them.

If you bothered to go to the lake you would see quite a few of your memebers are the ones that slam dunk there end tackle right in the weed, dont drop the lead or fish tighten clutches and wonder why they get snagged up and snapped of. This may offend a few but unfortunatly its the truth of the matter.

13 Jul 2011, 08:49

:( Adi, that is true, i have seen alot of people out there jam the tail ruber on, and making it into a death rig because its that tight :!: :x

13 Jul 2011, 10:33

I cant see a problem with fishing towards the Bouys if you and your methods and your tackle are up to it . I can see a problem if you choose to fish to them and any of the above criteria are not met , opionions will vary so a very big grey area appears . If fishing towards the bouys ( which is a holding feature no different to natural snags or weedbeds ) is judged to be unsafe then we might as well look towards stocking the commonwealth pool . Whatever way you look at this , in line drop off system , lead clip , 20 pound mainline , fishing locked up etc our aim is to pull the fish from where it lives to where it does not want to be . Full stop . Fish care is number 1 but it stands to reason that sooner or later breakages will happen for a variety of reasons and no matter how safe we are with our rigs and our approach things like this will happen . The good thing is that the fish has freed itself and that members acted quickly . Finally , i have read on the Lanark posting that a few members have experienced break offs this season , maybe its something that needs to be looked at over the rest of the season . I bet that everybody who has been broken by fish have not been only fishing the bouys . Tight 30 pound lines

13 Jul 2011, 20:41

As a lot of folk know. I fished the buoys a lot at the tail end of last year, and its totally weeded up now so doubt i will be fishing it again this year unless the fish are in the margins. However, i used to put a rod 10 yards off the buoy and it was the most successful area out of that swim for me. It is a holding point for fish and if fished for sensibly and with a bit of common sense the actual buoy should NOT provide a problem. But as Saul said, if a fish is trailing line and somehow manages to wrap its self round the buoy we have a problem. You are never going to stop snap offs as this is part and partial of fishing. With regards to fish safety, it was probably the best outcome removing the buoys. I was a big fan of the buoy swim and had a lot of fish out of it. But fish safety is the key factor. Some folk will NEVER be happy though.

13 Jul 2011, 21:00
Profile WWW

iv lost two fish this year due to one being that the hooklink parted from a linkloop and one from a cutoff from somthing

13 Jul 2011, 22:21
Profile YIM

just checked a chod rig that i have with a loop at the mainline bit and to be honest the bead passed over it no problem at all,it was a 5mm esp bead,though i do stretch the leadcore before use.the leadcore is 45lb esp.most of the time though the main line is passed through the stripped back leadcore.there's no reason why the safety aspect of rigs can not be tested time and time again espcaily when their tied at home with plenty of time on your hands.

14 Jul 2011, 12:25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Regarding the buoys, if you are fishing just short of the first buoy all locked up snag fishing style, fair enough you may be ok, But what about anyone fishing left or right of the buoys wanting to fish a decent distance out ? lock up all you like but if a decent fish decides to kite you risk an argument with a taught abrasive rope and maybe some rusty old shackles & chain!. What ever way you look at it, they are a hazard and better removed. Removing them has also opened up a large area of water to fish in relative safety compared to when the buoys were in place.

16 Jul 2011, 14:26
Profile WWW

very fair point saul.

so who is to blame the buoys or the angler which is my whole point on the matter

18 Jul 2011, 18:16
Site Admin
Site Admin

adib wrote:
very fair point saul.

so who is to blame the buoys or the angler which is my whole point on the matter

Both :lol: if you get an angler that does not think about the risks involved in fishing snaggy swims.
But buoys removed at least removes the risk of thoughtless actions :D and the odd very determined carp!! :lol:

18 Jul 2011, 21:41
Profile WWW

if a bead goes on a sliced loop lead core leader it will come off a spliced loop lead core leader. so its safe 8) or as safe as lead core gets.

18 Jul 2011, 23:21
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2