View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 21:14

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Lanark Roach ! 

Ive only been to lanark twice and both times have had roach taking my bait not that i will complain about the biggest I caught of 2.02lb but not great catching one tiddler at 03.00 in the morning :roll: :roll:

16 Jul 2012, 17:56

hello ive been reading threw alot! of posts on this forum to learn as much as i can i have just started course fishing and love it and ive started with roach easy to catch you dont need 300£ on rods alarms and boats to bait ur swim fun and a chance to catch loads of fish most of my fishing years have been spent on rivers after trout dace and grailing yeah dace(strange ehh) not really.

i have also bagged a few good roach on the rivers a plesant surprise if u ask me now after reading about people killing pike on the river and how horrible it is :shock: why do people kill pike! because they think less pike = more or bigger trout salmon wrong i know its stupid so killing a fish (pike) to get bigger trout is wrong yes?

so i think great these guys really care for fish then i read about the roach PROBLEM in lanark loch ok this post was from a couple of years ago but then i read lets kill some roach so carp can grow a few pounds bigger :shock: ehh! also arg they eat all my carp bait its not cheap so kill some or remove some from the loch :? .

there are plenty of posts banging on about killing pike ...and can i just say if a saw anybody on the river killing a pike it would be there last on that river killing any fish that you dont want to eat is wrong but killing hundreds of fish so you can catch a carp half a pound bigger is nutts use bigger baits.

there must be baits roach cant eat or fit in there gobs killing roach to get fatter carp is just like killing pike to get more/bigger salmon or trout in my opinion.

so you guys that want to kill roach but would never kill a pike cos its wrong what do you want to be the pot or the kettel :?:

sorry if a seam a bit upset but really i thought course anglers were the guys that dont kill fish if you were trout anglers would you want the dace and grailing killed too :?:

ok rant over feel better now going to fish lanark tomorrow for roach cya on the bank tight lines guys :)

15 Sep 2012, 18:12

The roach were never going to die. They would have been moved water or sold to fisherys.

15 Sep 2012, 23:28

thanks for ur reply weecarper i am happy no fish would have or will be killed.
best of luck on ur next session hope you get a monster. :)

16 Sep 2012, 00:07
Site Admin
Site Admin

stephen1975 wrote:
thanks for ur reply weecarper i am happy no fish would have or will be killed.
best of luck on ur next session hope you get a monster. :)

Hi Stephen

As mentioned there was never any intension of killing the roach, what you need to understand is that sometines it is nesessary to thin out species such as Roach as they are such prolific breeders waters can easily become overstocked in stillwaters to the point where all the stock are suffering. Water quality issues, parasite problems etc etc can all be the fault of over stocking. Worst case senario could for example be a total loss of stock during a freeze due to the large demand for oxygen.

Cheers
Saul

16 Sep 2012, 11:52
Profile WWW

Hi Saul

Firstly thanks for responding to my post and helping me understand Water quality issues, parasite problems .

i took a walk round lanark loch today in the rain :( and was talking to some anglers and mensioned the roach problem.

one angler said (its no the roach its the problem its the bloody otter) he said there is a large otter killing carp really an otter in lanark loch :!: :!: .

He also mentioned that the weed was terrible and they had taken no fish as the weed was just too thick he mensioned that most of the swans had been chased away by a large aggresive male swan and there are not enuf swans to eat the weed.

i was also told this from a couple of young lads pike fishing i think wee need to stock with white rats :lol: :lol: .

Anyway atleast people on the forum know i care for all fish . :)

ok i will try lanark loch nextweek if the weather is ok cya :)

16 Sep 2012, 15:12

Hi anybody know were the deep areas are in lanark loch if there is a weed problem thats where i should start i think ,

16 Sep 2012, 15:13

Just to add my bit to this discussion there are more ways to catch carp than ledgering with 3 rods and sitting a few feet away in a bivvy. Although new to fishing lanark and not actually seen anyone catch a carp here lately. I purposely fish for roach knowing that after a while carp will eventually move into the area to see whats going off and the roach fishing then goes quiet. I fish relatively heavy for roach so any carp i hook i know i wont be broken, this works equally well for pike which can be frustrating if i am after carp. It is true what has been said earlier in the post about roach seeming to take over a water but it is quite possible the roach population could be scarce next year. On going round the loch on a sunny day there are loads of really small pike basking near the surface which will be feeding on the smallest roach right now so eventually as long as the pike population is healthy the "roach problem" will sort itself out. In a couple of years this post will probably be headed lanark pike
mel

25 Sep 2012, 22:35

:) Hope the pike dont start eating carp bait :D

28 Sep 2012, 17:40
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's good to hear plenty of small Pike have been seen as part of the problem was the removal of many of the Pike!

Plenty of the Carp anglers also enjoy fishing for Roach with suitable tackle, no fun with Carp gear! so please dont turn this into a Carp anglers against every other species rant.
The fact is the Roach population is out of hand at the moment, in the recent report from the Fish Health Inspectorate relating to the fish deaths last winter at Lanark, a parasite problem was highlighted, huge numbers of parasites need large numbers of hosts, far more than the existing stock of Carp would support! this points again to the Roach being an issue.

Nobody wants rid of the Roach, they just need thinning out for the overall health of the fishery.

28 Sep 2012, 18:43
Profile WWW

Saul wrote:
please dont turn this into a Carp anglers against every other species rant.
Nobody wants rid of the Roach, they just need thinning out for the overall health of the fishery.

Hi Saul i hope you dont think this topic is turning into a Carp anglers against every other species rant.
That wasent my intension, my previous rant was a new coarse anglers post and i dident have all the facts .
I also hope to fish for carp soon when i have learned all i need to know about rigs and baits and how to look after my fish.

If the roach need to be thinning out for the health of the fishery then thats what should be done just leave the big ones in :P .

all the best hope you get a monster next session.
ps I beat my pb twice in one day today my pics are in the general coarse fishing section .

29 Sep 2012, 18:51

stephen1975 wrote:

FYI carp in Lanark Are caught on Carp Bait quite reguarly,
the biggest so far was a 17 lb pike caught on boilies they can also be caught on worm maggot roach perch eel mackeral etc

30 Sep 2012, 21:55
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

peterpikefisher wrote:
stephen1975 wrote:

FYI carp in Lanark Are caught on Carp Bait quite reguarly,
the biggest so far was a 17 lb pike caught on boilies they can also be caught on worm maggot roach perch eel mackeral etc

Ehhhhh :| :lol:

01 Oct 2012, 08:57
Profile WWW

thats whats wrong pete av been using he wrong bait need to try some carp bait sometime would you suggest smelt, lamphery, maybe a pineapple rapala :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

01 Oct 2012, 09:13
Profile WWW

Location: Educating Esoxian on the virtues of passive verbal communication toward people with canoes..
melr wrote:
Just to add my bit to this discussion there are more ways to catch carp than ledgering with 3 rods and sitting a few feet away in a bivvy. Although new to fishing lanark and not actually seen anyone catch a carp here lately. I purposely fish for roach knowing that after a while carp will eventually move into the area to see whats going off and the roach fishing then goes quiet. I fish relatively heavy for roach so any carp i hook i know i wont be broken, this works equally well for pike which can be frustrating if i am after carp. It is true what has been said earlier in the post about roach seeming to take over a water but it is quite possible the roach population could be scarce next year. On going round the loch on a sunny day there are loads of really small pike basking near the surface which will be feeding on the smallest roach right now so eventually as long as the pike population is healthy the "roach problem" will sort itself out. In a couple of years this post will probably be headed lanark pike
mel

Had 12 fish in a day years ago up Lanark fishing 2 feeder rods over red molasses crumb and maggot... About 16 years or more ago now. Great sport 8) , not the sort of sizes they are now.. :)

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

01 Oct 2012, 20:08
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next