View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 23:26

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Wind up merchants ! 

Even if there is difficulty implementing it on the current forum it could easily be done as private newsgroup.

I am pretty sure google and yahoo groups offer this facility free of charge.

Just need someone to confirm the email address of any applicant being used is valid for an SCG member but this could be worked out.

Not ideal as within the current forum would be nice but a possible option?

06 Jun 2008, 10:54

Colin, re the eastern europeans taking fish, very good point! again thats something i hadnt considered, why make it easier for them.That swings it for me, im all for it, might save me getting the jail on Huggie :lol: The carp snaggers on Huggie are going to get introduced to a traditional glasgow game of baseball when i bump into them :wink:

06 Jun 2008, 13:36

Billy Halleran wrote:
Colin, re the eastern europeans taking fish, very good point! again thats something i hadnt considered, why make it easier for them.That swings it for me, im all for it, might save me getting the jail on Huggie :lol: The carp snaggers on Huggie are going to get introduced to a traditional glasgow game of baseball when i bump into them :wink:

A load have just been knicked from some fountain in glasgow i was reading somewhere and the police believe they went for the pot

06 Jun 2008, 14:21
Site Admin
Site Admin

If Carper our forum technical person can sort it then we could have a members only area for SCG related discussions but I still want to keep the SCG waters sections open to all as this is where we get plenty of interest from prospective new members viewing catch reports etc.

Cheers
Saul

06 Jun 2008, 15:49
Profile WWW

Barrie, a couple of them where seen on Huggie last week trying to snag the spawning carp with trebles :evil: The local guys that fish Huggie will be keeping an eye open for them and will hopefully discourage them form do this :wink:

06 Jun 2008, 15:53

Billy Halleran wrote:
Barrie, a couple of them where seen on Huggie last week trying to snag the spawning carp with trebles :evil: The local guys that fish Huggie will be keeping an eye open for them and will hopefully discourage them form do this :wink:

Really stick's in my throat this kinda thing mate, they know it's wrong and they know the system it's like there just sticking two finger's up at the rest of us an saying sod your law's we will do want we want :evil:
I hope the local's are very persauvsive and point out the error of there way's :wink:

Barrie

06 Jun 2008, 16:03

Saul wrote:
If Carper our forum technical person can sort it then we could have a members only area for SCG related discussions but I still want to keep the SCG waters sections open to all as this is where we get plenty of interest from prospective new members viewing catch reports etc.

Cheers
Saul

Cheer's Saul that sound's like a good comprimise to me :D

Barrie

06 Jun 2008, 16:07

SAUL

now im not being difficult i would just like to know where we stand as members thats all.

You say that YOU would like to keep waters on open forum but say thats where WE get interest from, one or the other mate.

Surley on something like this the members should vote on it because it could affect the fish and waters that we as members pay for. Surely what get caught is as important as stocking, i heard through other members regarding the latest stocking as i could not see anything on forum, i dont think the amount of fish caught on venues relates to the amount of people who might join because of that. There seems to be alot of support regarding the members only bit which you have agreed to look into but surely the aim of the group is to protect what we have?

Cheers

Adi

06 Jun 2008, 16:21
Site Admin
Site Admin

Adi

The point I'm making is non SCG members being able to see the catch reports etc from our waters is a good way of promoting our waters and encouraging non members to join the SCG.
The extra promotion is one of the reasons the SCG is doing so well and has had record membership numbers over the last few years.

If you really want the information relating to the SCG waters to be for members only then please propose it at the AGM but remember the website also has information on our waters and photo galleries with many of the fish so the information is still there for all to see.

Cheers
Saul

06 Jun 2008, 17:48
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am unsure whether this forum script allows you to lock down a specific area...however, I will discuss this further with Saul as I think it is a good idea.

29 Jun 2008, 18:04
Profile WWW

yes you can lockdown any forum or topics you want, just go to your admin board> permissions> and edit the users/groups that you want to be able to see the specifc topic i.e read, modify, no access. need any tips pm me

06 Oct 2008, 17:53

There is the administration overhead to consider, initial validation of forum members to SCG memberships and removal of all those have not renewed by 1st Jan then gradually adding them back in to the private site as Malky recieves late renewals over the winter.

All technically possible but not a 5 minute job for the right volunteer...........

06 Oct 2008, 19:45

Location: Educating Esoxian on the virtues of passive verbal communication toward people with canoes..
As the Thread title says 'wind up merchants'. It would be good to keep any 'wind up merchants' off the forum. Without joining first..

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

06 Oct 2008, 20:14
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is exactly what I was getting at Paul, the task is not as simple as you may think. I know the capabilities of the majority of forum scripts (both open source and paid) however, PHPBB is very limited in what we can do unless I start editing the code.

The best option to implement this would be to move the forum to a paid licence but the question needs to be asked, does the benefit of being able to lock down sections outweigh the cost of the script licence ??????

08 Oct 2008, 04:50
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3