View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 20:36

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Dunmore Water, Pitlochry 

Hi
just wondering if anyone has fished Dunmore. Fished it for the second time today and blanked again. Was speaking to an old guy who was also fishing. He told me he saw a 16lb Common caught last week. Nice place but thick with Lilly's.

Cheers

25 Jul 2011, 23:38

its a very hard water [for carp] once they see you there offski down under the little bridge end and into the thick weed/lillys but the place is stunning keep at it mate also some nice roach in there :D tight lines :D

28 Jul 2011, 08:15

Yeh its a hard water but dont think i will be in a hurry to return as its a bit far away. My brother in law wanted to give it try again so i agreed. It is a beautiful spot as you say.

Cheers Div

28 Jul 2011, 10:35

chalky63 wrote:
its a very hard water [for carp]

Is it? ;)

My experience is this...dont fill it in with boillies, dont fill it in with spod mix, dont fill it in with pellets, dont fish 3 rods, dont set up a bivvy and you should catch :)

I fish one rod, go looking for the fish and generally freeline or float fish for them. I have yet to blank, but I do admit I have not had anything obove 11 pounds, but i don't care because a carp from there is worth a dozen from a stocked water :)

08 Aug 2011, 18:08
Rob_B wrote:
chalky63 wrote:

Is it? ;)

My experience is this...dont fill it in with boillies, dont fill it in with spod mix, dont fill it in with pellets, dont fish 3 rods, dont set up a bivvy and you should catch :)

I fish one rod, go looking for the fish and generally freeline or float fish for them. I have yet to blank, but I do admit I have not had anything obove 11 pounds, but i don't care because a carp from there is worth a dozen from a stocked water :)

They were all stocked at one time :roll: :roll:

08 Aug 2011, 22:43

... it sure ain't a heavily stocked water, and one from there is worth 30 from somewhere like orchil or the croft.

09 Aug 2011, 23:37

CLEARWATER wrote:
Rob_B wrote:
chalky63 wrote:

Is it? ;)

They were all stocked at one time :roll: :roll:

Of course they were stocked, but many of the carp are old and in mint condition. Non of the raggy mouthed muppets that are oh so common on certain waters...and they are dark, almost chestnut coloured. Stunning fish!

10 Aug 2011, 15:13

have to agree with rob,i have fished Dunmore myself.Have caught carp and tench, fish are minted,best bet is one rod, walk round pond look for gap in lilies at the margins.Fish these spots and you will get carp and tench,do not put lots off bait in.Little and often,best bet is under a float don't need alarms or pods,good luck on fishing this water for it is great sport,myself i would go back again.

11 Aug 2011, 08:17

DadeBaigrie wrote:
have to agree with rob,i have fished Dunmore myself.Have caught carp and tench, fish are minted,best bet is one rod, walk round pond look for gap in lilies at the margins.Fish these spots and you will get carp and tench,do not put lots off bait in.Little and often,best bet is under a float don't need alarms or pods,good luck on fishing this water for it is great sport,myself i would go back again.

great advice for this stunning water :D

16 Aug 2011, 20:45

Anyone fished here lately & had any success?

I fished a few hours last week & blanked. Didn't see any sign of a single fish, big or small! The water was gin clear & when the sun came out it was like looking into an aquarium (albeit without the fish!).

I recently moved to Perth from Glasgow so this is about the only coarse venue within the local area as Orchill is not really my cup of tea.

I hope to get back to Dunmore soon but would feel more confident of I knew the fish were still there! Stunning location but I was a bit concerned not to see a single fish! Any advice or reports anyone would like to share?

Thanks in advance...

10 May 2016, 19:33

could still be pretty cold, they will come out to play when its warmed up a bit....did you take a temp reading?

10 May 2016, 21:32

Thanks for the reply.

I was there last Wednesday but only for a few hours as had to pick my wife up from work. Not sure of temperature - air temp was pleasantly warm but the water will no doubt take a while to warm up given how cold it was at times in April. I hadn't heard any recent reports from the loch so was just wondering whether the fish were still there!

Hopefully get back up there soon. Beautiful spot to fish whether you're catching or not.

10 May 2016, 23:04

I spoke to one of the members the other day who said that its a bit early to fish it. Must admit, the times I have fished its been at least June before I start. Its a short season but the fish are there.

They are looking at restocking soon as well.

13 May 2016, 11:53

Thanks Rob.

I'll give it a go over the summer. Just nice to hear there are still fish there as it just seemed so dead when I was there for all species. Fished a carp rod & a waggler rod with maggots - not even a twitch!

16 May 2016, 17:45

I have not fished it a lot, but when I have, the sessions usually followed the same pattern which was that the Tench fed for about an hour at first light, then seemed to melt away.

The carp came throught the day, but it was not easy going.

If you take a whip or pole down, you can have fun with the roach and rudd on maggots and sometimes the off carp or tench comes along.

My best bait for the bigger fish was always trout pellet paste.

17 May 2016, 08:00
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]