View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:34

Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Firhill 34lber 

Ok herd a rumor that there has been a 34lb Mirror taken off the Firhill Basin on the Forth/Clyde. Ask a guy at the Angling Centre about said rumor and he says it is gen :shock: :shock: :shock: Some scales have been sent away to get tested. Didnt know that they tested fish size like that. Anyone else herd anything. I know there has been some mid 20's out and I have seen some big fish swimming about there on a hot day but never thought they were that big. What a cracker if its true. 8) 8)

20 Jul 2007, 23:14

21 Jul 2007, 01:10

Could well be true! as 15 year back 20ties were being cought on the canal at Bowling at cardross/alexandria

21 Jul 2007, 09:01

heard the same story, cracking fish if genuine, know of twenties from area for def
well done to whoever :D :D

21 Jul 2007, 10:19
Profile WWW

Aye, I think F&C was stocked in the late 60s... Is it the fish`s scales or the weighing scales that are being sent away - surely only weight can be a true indication of size..?

21 Jul 2007, 12:31
Profile WWW

21 Jul 2007, 16:54
Profile WWW

word on the street is one of the alkies that fish it every day caught a fish of 17 kilo :shock: that = 37.4+ lol im taking it with a pinch of salt till i see a photo. :lol:
its done a couple of low 20s this year though.

22 Jul 2007, 01:44

a good chance of it being true, same with another water in scotland i think it will produce fish up to 45lb [NO COMMENT], just hope the guy who sent in the scales dident get the same hastle i got. :shock:

22 Jul 2007, 16:56

a good chance of it being true, same with another water in scotland i think it will produce fish up to 45lb

perhaps Lomond or Awe ?? - Scotland`s answer to "Lac de Cassien"

PS - Aye Davy - the only photo you`ll probably see will be a DIY Photoshop job :twisted: That`s if it`s one of they mad drunkards that frequent the Maryhill F&C and give you "Ye Olde Tales of Monster Fyshe"

Last edited by canal_addict on 09 Mar 2008, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

28 Jul 2007, 19:24
Profile WWW

Just out of interest, a friend of mine has a painting of a 20 pound Carp. It has the title, "Loch Awe, a Carp of 20 pounds" and is a Carp laying on a sack, with a well known Loch Awe landmark in the background..and its dated 1890 :shock:

30 Jul 2007, 09:00

In the middle of another 10 hour, five rod, blank session at Hoggy, I got chatting with a guy who reckoned the Firhill Basin is a great water with a good range of species at impressive weights. Can't remember what he was saying exactly but he did mention a 32lb carp being caught.

I think I will head over and give it a try this weekend. I noticed that it is right next to the stadium - is there a lot of trouble/noise on a Saturday?

15 Dec 2008, 10:37

i spoke to the guy on saturday who said he caught it, to set the record straight i fish firhill a lot. the guy is not an alkie, a little bit ecentric but not an alkie and sounds to posses a fair amount of knowledge regarding angling in general.

if this is true or not i do not know as a lot of the firhill stories get bigger and bigger though it could be true as i have witnessed large carp on this bit of canal.

the guy in question told me that he sent it off to be confirmed as a 34lb'er but got rejected because he waited too long to do so. so who realy knows

as for fishing firhill you do get the odd rubber nut telling you how to spin for carp and spear for pike..... but there all harmless and once they have seen your face 2 or 3 times your as good as pals just dont accept a drink :lol:

15 Dec 2008, 17:58

"as for fishing firhill you do get the odd rubber nut telling you how to spin for carp and spear for pike..... but there all harmless and once they have seen your face 2 or 3 times your as good as pals just dont accept a drink ". HARMLESS my purple bits those nutters were trying to sell cowdenbeath fans razor blades INSIDE the partick thistle football ground [in scottish cup tie] with the pies and bovril. which cowden should have won after leeding 1-0 for over an hour thistle scored a very dodgey goal in the 94TH min to take the tie back to central park. the ref only gave them the goal because he was going to be hung. but with most weegie[glasgow] clubs, fan's from the east just know whats comming its been going on since time began :wink: thats my excuse and im sticking to it. you will prob find that 34lb fish was a empty box of buckie. :D

15 Dec 2008, 19:44

If the Scottish records were all guesstimates the record table would go something like this:

Salmon : 83lb : on a toby fought for 17 hours. :D

Pike : 75lb : seen eating a wee pony just before it was hooked. :D

Carp : 63lb caught it on 2 lb /bs, size 16, an auld roll and a roach pole. :D

Trout : 43lb ferox spat oot a 22lb pike as it was unhooked. :D

After 20years of Scottish carping I started as an optimist then a pessimist but now I'm a realist. :(
As I have said recently on the forum why have all the captors of Scottish 30’s never been in possession of a camera or scales.

I’ll bet my mortgage it will be a SCG member who gets the first 30 from our big three Fintry, Hoggy or Lanark. Hopefully,

15 Dec 2008, 20:40

Location: Educating Esoxian on the virtues of passive verbal communication toward people with canoes..
That's baws Ian :!: :lol: :lol: a 15lb fish equates to a 30 for the locals that fish it...And when its described to you its always as long as their arms can reach and 4 feet deep.. :shock: :shock:...Theres been a few high doubles, and some 20's...With good growth rate....

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

16 Dec 2008, 10:38
Reply to topic   [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next