View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 22 May 2018, 07:24

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Hello, again! 

Hello again,

I'm Derek from Aberdeen and i've rejoined the SCG after 5 years away from carp fishing, but i've got that bug again.

I've been trolling this and other forums trying to learn from my past mistakes as i was a complete beginner when i first join the SCG game in 2007. First time round i only lasted 2 seasons due to the travelling ,the costs (Lesson 1 : don't buy everything that says 'Carp' on it) and the lack of fish (...well a 7lb Kinghorn pike on 2x10mm Spicy Sausage boilies doesn't count, does it?)

However, in 2008 i did manage to catch a carp known as 'The Pretty Mirror' from Fintry at 13lb 12oz. I think if i hadn't caught that fish i would of probably sold all my tackle. In total, i did 600hrs fishing in my first 2 years for 1 carp...better than 0.

Now some tips FOR complete beginners FROM an advanced complete beginner.

1-Don't buy everything that say's 'Carp' on it.
2-Don't fish Kinghorn Loch for your first carp ever session.
3-Don't thunder around a tiny water (like Ex-SCG water Little Glenniston) with a barrow full of gear.
4-Don't buy 15 flavours of pop-ups when you can only fish 3 rods.
5-Don't prebait waters in Fife if you live in Aberdeen.
6-Don't believe everything in a Carp magazine, they're usaully just trying to sell you something (see tip 1.)

The above and other novice mistakes will be available at Lanark Loch 13-15th May when i'll be there carp fishing for the first time in 5 years. Pop along for a brew and a blether, i'll be the one with 'All the gear, but no idea'.

06 May 2014, 08:42

Welcome back! and...you can never have too much stuff that says carp on it haha!

06 May 2014, 20:04

Hi,

Your second point sounds like a challenge, lol

I move back to Scotland in a couple of months and Kinghorn will be the first loch on my hit list. Just out of interest, does anyone know what the stock levels are and what the average size is? PM me if need be.

I know most people will keep their cards close to their chest so I expect to spend the first half a dozen sessions with just the marker rod. lol

Regards,

Alan <*))))>{

20 May 2014, 22:38

Hi Alan, i've always been a fly fisher, so i'd never used or cast a fixed spool reel until my first every session on Kinghorn. It just felt so alien to have a reel 2 ft up the rod LOL.

23 May 2014, 07:29

Welcome back derek :wink:

23 May 2014, 13:00
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]