View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 23:24

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Catfish in scotland? 

Rob_B wrote:
Is that not a British Record??

On the 25th Sept 1933, on the White Mill stretch of the river Towey, Camarthenshire, Mr A.L. Allen was fishing for sea-trout when he hooked and, after a what must have been a stupendous battle, landed a Royal Sturgeon of 388lb. It was 9ft 2ins long and had a girth of 59ins.

05 Nov 2013, 18:50
Profile WWW

that must have been some sea trout tackle :shock: :shock:

05 Nov 2013, 19:31

WOW... there are bigger sturgeon and cats where i was fishing than the one pictured, but nothing bigger than around 120lb ish, that record would take some beating....

05 Nov 2013, 23:14

Nope...a sea run Sturgeon is a very different fish to a land locked one. Different records as far as I am aware.

Bit like different records for sea trout and brown trout..same fish, different record

12 Nov 2013, 08:48

ok then Rob what about this article from the anglers mail. PREDATOR angling coach Rikki Cooper recorded the biggest ever lake sturgeon in the UK when he caught this 121 lb 9 oz monster while holding a 48-hour catfish masterclass.

only half the size of the river fish , i have recently read some articles on european sturgeon may be making a comeback in uk waters i caught a small 7.5 lb sturgeon last year in france there good fighting fish with some mental acrobatic displays when trying to throw a hook some very impressive tail walking.

13 Nov 2013, 23:37
Profile WWW

Sturgeon are a bit like Carp...there are many variations of the same thing. Most of the "stugon" caught in UK still waters are Siberian Sturgon whilst our "natural" sturgon is the Atlantic Sturgon. Thats a bit like claiming a world record common Carp by catching an Asian Silver Carp :)

Siberians have been caught in the Ouse, Thames and Avon, but so far, no Atlantics, which is a shame really as the Atlantic grows over twice as big, topping out about 2000 pounds in weight!!! I might have to break out a 3lb TC rod :)

14 Nov 2013, 12:25
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2