View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 23:14

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Bait? 
Hi,

Was wondering what everyones prefered Bait for catching Pike would be at this time of year? Is Mackeral all its cracked up to be or do some of you prefer Fresh Water dead baits?

Thanks Rabsen

06 Dec 2011, 22:21

smelts or hering

06 Dec 2011, 23:33
Profile YIM

depends on the place mate, if your fishing somewhere with a good natural stocking of course fish like roach and perch then using a dead roach or perch wouldnt be a bad place to start, pike usually arent fussy regardless of what anyone says, chances are if they come across your bait if their on the feed wether it be roach perch mackerel or smelt they'll have it, the obvious advantages of mackerel or herring is the oil it gives off in a way acts like a sort of groundbaiting the area of the bait, no matter what you choose bait wise it always helps if the pike are around and on the feed, if you know for a fact the place your fishing is well stocked with pike then it wont matter too much what bait you use, as long as the pike can find it the pike will do the rest.

07 Dec 2011, 00:35

I've pretty much given up piking but I was keen on frozen sardines. I used to be able to get a big bag from safeways and that would do a couple of trips. I don't think morrisons do them anymore. You had to use them partially thawed so they wouldn't cast off or with a twist of thin copper wire and gentle lobs.

07 Dec 2011, 15:38

morrisons still do the best selection of baits outside of tackle shops, they sell sardines, sprats, herring, mackerel , some excellent pike baits, the good thing is they dont gut them either so they are nice fresh baits, what i do is after ive bought them i individually wrap each bait in ones or twos so that theres not a big lump of them in the freezer and a nightmare to get apart when you get to the bank, sainsburys and asda do some decent baits but nowhere near the selection of morrisions.

to keep sardines and what not on the hooks i tend to use sea bait elastic, couple of turns round the bait and no more flying off hooks, dont put too much on it so that the hooks dont clear the bait when you strike though.

07 Dec 2011, 16:00

They must have started stocking them again. Last time I went piking, which was a few years ago admittedly :oops: , they had no fish that was suitable for bait and when you asked the staff all you got was shrug, sorry no idea! :roll: I use knitting elastic for my soft sea angling baits like peeler crab and mussel. It's a bit finer that schirring elastic which some shops sell!

07 Dec 2011, 16:36

im only going with what i can get at my local morrisons, i dont know if each store is diffrent but the one in glenrothes has a huge fish counter, the herring and mackerel will be on there, usually the sprats and sardines are prepacked on the shelfs, one thing though, with most supermarkets you have to be quick, get in there very early in the morning as soon as the fish are being put out grab what you need, they go quick at any supermarket.

07 Dec 2011, 17:04
Thanks for your advice lads, Ive pretty much just strted Pike fishiing and any advice will be helpfull. Sounds like you all have a good knowledge of Pike fishing anyway.

Thanks again Rabsen

07 Dec 2011, 19:40

best advice i can give you bud. is to go with someone that you no thats been piking for a while and knows how to land and unhook pike safely

07 Dec 2011, 19:58
Profile YIM
Yeh my Brother in law has took me a few times and has shown me what he knows but i dont think he knows that much to be honest. I would like to join a Fishing Club with people who have some experience but i would need to get the right rods and stuff. Monies a bit tight at the moment as i got paid off from work. Look on the bright side though i have lots of time to go fishing.

Thanks Rabsen

07 Dec 2011, 20:09
DavieExiledWeegie wrote:
im only going with what i can get at my local morrisons, i dont know if each store is diffrent but the one in glenrothes has a huge fish counter, the herring and mackerel will be on there, usually the sprats and sardines are prepacked on the shelfs, one thing though, with most supermarkets you have to be quick, get in there very early in the morning as soon as the fish are being put out grab what you need, they go quick at any supermarket.

Where is Morrisons? and what other fishing stuff do they sell? Is it close to Linlithgow any chance?

Thanks Rabsen

07 Dec 2011, 20:11

hi again, morrisons is a major supermarket chain mate, they dont sell fishing equipment we are talking about buying bait from the fish counter at your local supermarket, aint got a clue if theres any in linlithgow but your bound to have a sainsburys or tescos with a fish counter.

i can put you in touch with a club that opperates locally to you, ill send you a pm, what i will say though is that even with time on your hands please dont think about going for pike until you do have the correct equipment, i.e long forcepts and unhooking tools, unhooking mat, landing net, at least a 2.5lb test curve rod, 15lb minimum line, wire traces made to a safe standard, and good bite indication like alarms swingers/dropbacks, once you have the correct stuff to do it safely then go with someone whos got experience of dealing with pike, their more fragile than most folk think.

07 Dec 2011, 21:36
Oooops Silly me. Lol. I thought you meant that there was a tackle shop called Morrison's..Hahaha. What was i thinking. You must all be thinking you have a right cracker here.

Rabsen

08 Dec 2011, 16:11

:D :D

na everyone makes mistakes.

08 Dec 2011, 16:20
Got your PM and it sound very interesting to say the least. As i said though i would have to get the correct gear so here's hoping Santa might be good to me. Will also speak to my Brother in law about the Club.

Thanks Rabsen

08 Dec 2011, 16:28
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]