View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 12:46

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Craiglinn Quarry & Dullatur Quarry (Cumbernauld) - Info Plz 

Hi Folks,

I've read a couple of previous postings about craiglin quarry & dullatur quarry, but i was wanting to know if anyone has any recent info on these spots, ie stock etc

I live in cumbernauld and both spots are within 5mins from me, fished craiglinn quarry quite a few times 10+ years ago when i was quite young, was only perch i was fishing for then. Although the times i was down, i seen other people catching big carp & pike. I also seen at least 5 plus figure carp sitting under the trees on the far left side of the quarry right next to the bank. Also seen a dead pike which must have been 15+lb. Mainly i was wanting to know if the quarry at craiglin was still there as i wasnt too sure as they new houses have been built around where the quarry is.

As for dullatur quarry, pretty much the same, only fished it a couple of times years ago for perch etc, even then nothing much to sing about. Actually used to jump off the rocks into the water down there when i was younger lol, we used to call it 'The Blue Lagoon' lol. Last time i was there was about 2 years ago now i think, and remember the water being a lot dirtier than it used to be.

Are both of these spots still good for fish or what? Have a mate who's keen on pike fishing and he was asking me about these places and said i'd try and find out some info for him.

He actually lives next to St. Pats pond in Kilsyth, have fished there a few times too, i've only caught single figure Jack Pike from there, but was with him and he caught a 12lb Pike. Any more info on here as well would be appreciated.

Thanks Again

Shaun :D

13 Aug 2009, 11:55

30 people have looked at this post and not one person has any info?

14 Aug 2009, 08:30

Location: Educating Esoxian on the virtues of passive verbal communication toward people with canoes..
What do you mean 5 + figure Carp mate ??...............Mark

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

14 Aug 2009, 08:48

The Blue Lagoon as i used to call it as well when i used to jump in a few years ago still has plenty of pearch in it but i am unsure of any other spieces there mate. Where bouts in the nauld you from ? I think i might know you.

Craiglinn is a bit of a funny water. It's still there but it was badly polluted when the smithstone houses were being put up. Since then it has been a hard water to fish with long hours and little reward although aparently still holding some nice fish. I haven't seen or heard of pike comming out of either of these water recently but craiglinn has been known to produce the odd one in the past.

If you're looking for good pike fishing localy the canal has produced my PB and broadwood has also produced nice pike for me biggest only a pound smaller than my PB from the canal. Most stretches of the canal are good localy and there are a few good swims at broadwood. The dam end being my personal favourite.

Hope this helps you mate !

14 Aug 2009, 13:41

Was meaning 5 double figure carp lol, thanks for the info as well piker, appreciated.
:D

Have fished the canal for pike with my mate a good few times, never really caught anything major. Think my mates best from there was 15lb. Too many polish folk as well keeping them and making them into fish cakes, hence why numbers dropping.

P.S, from Kildrum m8

16 Aug 2009, 08:38

Location: Educating Esoxian on the virtues of passive verbal communication toward people with canoes..
Craiglinn is the one on the hill near broadwood??.....Is the other place easy to find??

16 Aug 2009, 10:44

yeah m8, craiglin quarrys on the hill. The one at dullatur is only easy to find if you know your way about lol. Follow road down dullatur past the tennis courts right to the bottom and park and walk down the path into the woods and follow path and you'll come to the quarry. Think there will prob be a few other ways to get down to it, but thats the way i've always went.

16 Aug 2009, 23:20

Fished Craiglinn for the monster Roach in the past...Havn't seen them since the builing works......Or the Carp....Just wasn't sure of the name of it...cheers mate....

17 Aug 2009, 09:57

There are still good roach, rudd + hybrids in craiglinn but can be quite difficault to catch. Try a feeder to get buy thost pesty sticleback. The dullatur quarry is hard to find if you havn't been before. I have only ever had bags of pearch with the biggest being 6-8 oz. Don't get me wrong i have seen something bigger in there at a distance but couldnt make out what it was. The place only realy has 2 fishable swims and if the weather is good you get all the weans up wanting 2 jump off the cliff. Really there are much better waters about localy if you want a good days fishing.

P.S. PM sent Shaun

18 Aug 2009, 08:53

i have fished both these waters craiglinn is a funny one, seen loads of nice fish at distance, probably rudd, all i caught was loads of wee perch, was good fun, bite evry cast,

as for dullatur quarry, cumbypiker is right, summer u get all the fannies swimming in it, two swims, both right at the beginning, the rest is all like cliff faces, i fished it in late feb-march aprilish and caught nice small perch ledgering with worms as bait as the light fell.

thats all i can say about it as i havn't fished these waters since.

10 Feb 2010, 22:53

Craiglinn used to be a great wee carp water. There used to be 12 carp in the water, I have pics of every carp. Then a few fish from the Monklands canal jumped in a taxi and arrived. Also 100 rudd arrived. The Rudd grew really quickly.
The Roach fishing was great, you couldn't fish floating crust without hooking an enormous Roach. Danny McLauchlin lived in the house accross the field from Craiglinn and he reckoned he held theworld record for the number of 3lb Roach caught by one angler. He used to take them back to his kitchen in a bucket, weigh them on the kitchen scales an photograph them and take them back to the pond. I saw him get a 3lb 4 oz fish, immense.
Anyone know anything about the pond on the golf course?

03 Oct 2011, 15:23
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]