View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 24 Jun 2018, 23:22

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 deadbait set ups!! 

looking for some reccomendations for rods and reels for fishing dead baits want to get fairly decent stuff ideally below 300 quid including braided line to fill three reels i have bought cheaper stuff but you only get what you pay for one of the reels has already broke l i have found when buying tackle your beeter to pay that wee bit extra and get a quality make or you just end up replacing it often and spending more! :cry: ,,was looking at wychwood rogue rods and reels any good?? and also shimano alivio rods???

any feedbace appreciated

cheers

cal

13 Oct 2008, 21:16

hi,i personally find the wychwood range good quality in most of there gear mate,,i have a couple of wychwood carp rods and have lasted the pace,its very well priced and one of the only makes i have found produces decent quality in all its ranges..shimano are great but too pricey for me.

13 Oct 2008, 22:04

cheers for the feedback guys ,,,,icant find anywhere selling these rods andy??any ideas??

14 Oct 2008, 19:19

daiwa black widow x3 - £80(great rods)
Shimano st10,000 x3 - £165(great well priced baitruners)
Dont know about braid although fox soft steel line is great £8

12 Apr 2011, 10:39

If you want proper deadbait rods designed for the purpose, and not just a heavy carp rod, then you will not find any better off the shelf rods than the Daiwa range of predator rods.

The Regal X Pike comes in at a RRP of £70 but have seen them for £50 online.

I hate to mention Fox, but their Warrior Deadbait range is pretty good and about £65

The Wychwood Agitator is not bad at £60

As for reels, no need to go for fancy bait runners (normally you would fish with drop offs and an open bail arm), just a standard fixed spool will be fine in an 8000 size or up.

Lastly, consider secondhand. There are a lot of people out there selling good gear cheap as they have fallen on hard times. You could get a bargin!

12 Apr 2011, 12:30

I've got a couple of shimano STC travel rods 6 piece, 12' 6" when assembled and 3 lb TC and a couple of jerkbait rods/reels that I was selling a while ago, then my brother was keen on them and then changed his mind!! :roll: If you can give me till the weekend I'll have a look and get a list together and PM you.

BTW: all unused :shock:

12 Apr 2011, 19:47
Robs pretty much summed it up bud, chub outkasts are another good rod option, dont touch Alivios pure cack as are most shimano rods.

can pick up the new Maver deadbait rods cheap on flea bay they might be worth a try and second hand shimano reels have never been cheaper.

13 Apr 2011, 13:52

chub outkast:value for money carp rod. you've obviously had issues with shimano rods but I would imagine the guys who fish for sailfish, Tuna, shark etc would have issue with you as shimano rods are the industry standard for that type of fishing either stand up or fighting chair style of angling and the records that shimano rods have taken are legendary. I've fished with shimano spinning, shore, boat, fly and latterly carp/specimen rods from the early days of their first glass rods through to carbon and while their cheap rods are not exactly inspiring, I would have no hesitation in using their mid range to top end rods and be happy to trade any of my current tackle in should the shimano gear present me with an advantage I needed.

13 Apr 2011, 21:08
I was refering to shimano Pike rods not all shimano rods ever built, thats what the guys asking advice on not friggin sailfish and tuna rods, its all down to personal experiences with different rods,imo shimano have not produced a decent dead bait rod whereas greys, daiwa, free spirit and Dave Lumb all have but you aint gonna buy them and reels and braid for 300 bucks.

14 Apr 2011, 01:30

I never said they were going to buy rods for that kind of angling and you actually said "as are most shimano rods" and didn't mention a particular branch of the sport. shimano learnt their rod building in the world of big game fishing and if you get it wrong for that you don't get a second chance and most of their current developments have their roots there, like biofibre, xt-40. xt 100 carbons etc. based on that groundwork, shimano annually win trophies from independant sources for the quality and performance of their rods and their rods, not big game alone, have a number of records that have fallen to them. I will agree though that some alivios are shocking but unfortunately that's one of the shimano "generic" names and they use it for a variety of things including reels and certain ones are slightly better than others.

Personal experience is the big thing, what you find works neccesarily wont work for me, you might have used the outkast for pike I wouldn't rate it as anything except as a middle of the rod value for money carp rod and wouldn't darken a pike water with it and that's part of the guys issues, he may not be 100% sure what he wants or should look for and a lot of tackle shops don't have a big enough selection and experienced help to get them a heads start!

14 Apr 2011, 12:25
I dont personally use chub outkasts but many Pikers do and appear to rate them at the price, i use Free spirit Pike tamers and esp vertex for my Piking but only as i fish a lot and their quality cannot be denied, you get what you pay for in this game and buying cheap only costs you dear at the end of the day, i do realise everyones budgets and means are different and i am not dissing anyone with that statement.

14 Apr 2011, 14:04

No, it's a pure statement of fact, not everybody can (or wants to pay £300) for a rod. I'm guessing from this discussion we've been having that we must be quite alike in our approach to the sport that we both like to have good gear but we're both sensible enough to know that you've got to look for stuff that suits you and work your way up to what you consider an acceptable price ceiling/quality and that different gear suits different anglers. at the end of the day it would be a boring world if everybody fished the same, thought the same and bought the same and discussions like this bring out a lot of useful info. hope the next one's as good :wink:

BTW when and if I see you piking I'd like to see the pike tamers, I've had 2 sets of free spirit carp rods and i'd love to get a feel of them to see the flex etc :D

14 Apr 2011, 14:43
Problem being is that you cannot try before you buy unless you have a m8 or m8s with rods you fancy, then you have to match it up with a reel (i do use shimano reels :) not much compares to them apart from some daiwas)

to many people jump in buy a set of 3lb t/c rods purely because they are cheap and the cheapest reels to go with them, doesnt work really, horses for courses, if your baitboating 100 - 130 yds you need to use a pit reel with a good retreival ratio, even a shimano 10 k makes you feel like youve done 50 press ups from that range, 10 ks on the otherhand are the perfect piking reel imo, thats if you are into baitrunners.

The Pike tamers are built on the Free Spirit E class carp rod blanks, really light and very nice action to play fish on :wink:

14 Apr 2011, 15:26

No one has mentioned braid yet..so I will :)

I found that my Pike rods (I built rhem on Daiwa AKN blanks with full cork and 10 rings) were great with mono but horrible with braid. Too stiff in general and I lost a few fish close in due to hooks pulling.

I then dug out some old Century Armalites, re rung them for Pike and they are superb with braid. Nice through action but still launch baits a long way :)

As to the comments above about Shimano Pike rods, I have to agree that if there is one area Shimano has been weak in, it was there Pike rods. However, they have a whole new range this year and there are some interesting items there. But horses for courses....

15 Apr 2011, 09:56

I have to agree rob they have been weak in that area but they are there and fair play to clearwater because a lot of his points were extremely valid(sorry mate don't know your name) and I did get caught up in the discussion but I have found good pike rods in the shim range, it's a case of knowing exactly what you want and repeated trial/ hunting till you get there. If I'm being honest I could have saved a load of time going in another direction but I set myself the task and went for it to show I could.

15 Apr 2011, 10:31
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]