View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 13:42

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Forth & Clyde Canal - Clydebank Area 

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on fishing the forth & clyde canal - specifically in the clydebank area. I've spent the last two nights fishing either side of dumbarton road at the Jubilee Hospital in clydebank. I've been using a light waggler float set-up with 3lb line, small hooks and maggots (I even groudbaited on one of the evenings). On both occasionas there was very little movement and I failed to get so much as a BITE on either night!

Am I approaching the fishing wrong or is it just that the population of fish is next-to-nothing (I know that section was dredged back in the early 2000's)? Obviously there are more prominent areas of the canal to fish such as westerton, firhill basin etc, but my other half works at the jubilee hospital so it would be good for me to find a nice spot close by to catch some fish before I pick her up from work!

Cheers!

06 Aug 2014, 11:40

Your approach sounds fine. Biggest problem with fishing the canal can be the clarity of water - sometimes fishing during the day can be a lost cause. Evenings are your best bet into dark & baiting up a swim in advance can really improve your catches. I haven't personally fished the Clydebank area but I know it's not one of the best stretches of the canal. However, there are bound to be a few fish, & the fun thing about the canal is it can throw up a few surprises!

I tend to fish the canal from Torrance to as far east as Kelvinhead. Kelvinhead is definitely one of the more reliable areas to get a few fish but a bit of a trek from where you are based. The canal can be a fickle place & often stretches/swims that fish well one day, can be dead the next, presumably because shoals of fish can move around so much. Best advice is to keep at it & try fishing in low light conditions when the fish will be less wary.

All the best. Tight lines.

Fraser

12 Aug 2014, 18:08

Thanks for the reply!

Funny enough I fished the canal up near Kelvinhead last week (to be precise it set up at the car-park about 3/4 mile up from the boat house at the bottom of kilsyth as you head out towards kelvinhead). Fishing was interrupted hugely by a constant flow of kayaks which was frustrating but I did manage a few perch/roach.

Is there any other breed of fish in that stretch of the canal? I'm anxious to get a hook into a carp, tench or bream? Would you say maggot is the best bet or should I be trying bread?

Cheers again!

13 Aug 2014, 22:03
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]