View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 06 Aug 2020, 13:13

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Rig books or websites 

Hi guys just wondered if anyone knows of any good books or web sites on how to tie rigs as i am new to all this.
cheers
Garry

12 Jan 2013, 15:15

Total carp magazine has a page near the back of every edition showing diagrams of basic knots! For a book try discover carp fishing by simon crow & rob hughes. You should be able to get a good 2nd hand or sale copy off amazon or ebay! :wink:

12 Jan 2013, 16:50

Just been on amazon, copies available from 2.30 plus postage! :shock:

12 Jan 2013, 16:55

crafty carper and total carp magazines are always showing basic rigs, most of the uk carp forums also have a rigs section. and you can get step by step instructions on youtube if unsure how to tie them. but keep it simple.
once the weather warms there will also be lots of anglers on the bank willing to show you rigs and safe set ups and explain how and when to use them. but dont be afraid to ask on here if you have any questions about rigs and how to set things up safe.
where are you based and what waters are you planning on fishing? im sure someone will offer to meet you on the bank and talk you through things

12 Jan 2013, 17:02

There are also ready made hook links that'll help you get started until you're ready to get started on tying your own! Cash wise if nothing else! £3-£10 per pack of hooks & the same for a spool of hook link material then possibly some other small things like rig rings etc! When you do get going it's cheaper to tie your own & you can tie them to suit your own fishing location type of bait etc!

12 Jan 2013, 17:22

Definitely cheaper to make your own although when starting out it can help your confidence to use shop bought rigs , ESP make some decent hooks, hook lengths and end tackle so one would assume that the standard of there rigs should be equally as good.

My advice would be if you are going to buy shop bought rigs to invest in a hook sharpener , after 3 or 4 casts your hook point will begin to dull , dragging on the lake bed , catching bits of weed , twigs and general lake bottom debris.

I should also probably tell you to keep it simple but I won't as I think every new carp angler should mess about with all the bells and whistles that are available in modern carp angling. Part of developing your angling is trying all of the different rigs and finding one you have the most confidence with. A good simple rig to tie which has always had good results for me is the KD rig, it needs
Very few components and has all the makings of a rig with a very affective hooking method definitely one worth looking up due to its simplicity.

The most important thing and I can't stress enough is that any rig you tie must be safe I.e not leave the fish attached to the lead if you break your mainline.

Good luck and tight lines :D

14 Jan 2013, 21:13

I would say that although rigs are important, watercraft and finding the fish will put more fish on the bank than having fancy rigs. Add a good bait and you will turn into Terry Hearn in no time!

There is a time and place for fancy rigs, but don't go overboard. Confidence in your end rig is one of the biggest gains you can have in catching fish.

You have to remember that the magazines are a business, and if they did not show all these rigs with all these different components from Fox/Korda/ESP etc, then those companies would not advertise or do editorials with the mag. Also remember that the writers tend to be sponsored, so they write about there sponsors latest gadget rather than the rigs they are really using.

Choose perhaps 3 or 4 rigs that cover all stituations and you will spend more time fishing with confidence and less time wondering if your popped up, stiff rigged, chod, helicopter inline, aligned, blowback, slip rig is tangled :)

15 Jan 2013, 10:33

Cheers all if you could suggest some basic rigs for me would be greatful and tell me how to tie them
Cheers Garry

15 Jan 2013, 10:51
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]